The name of Suyu-dong used to belong to Dong-bu in the 5th year of King Taejo (1396), and later in the 27th year of King Youngjo of Joseon dynasty (1751), it was recorded in the Suseong books “Doseong-samgun-bungye-chongrok” as Dong-bu Soongshin-bang (outside the capital castle). Gaori-gye, Suyuchon-gye, and Wooi-gye under Eo-yeong-cheong, and contributed as a defending area for the capital castle. The origin of the name, Suyu-dong came from su for water and yu for overflowing because there was a flood from Mountain Triangle to this area. In Korean, it means water overflowing, so it was called ‘Muneomi’.
Bbalae-gol This area around 486 beonji of Suyu-dong was called ‘Muneomi’ because there used to be too much water flowing from the mountain Triangle. Overflowing water has helped form a village naturally and folks from nearby villages used to come to wash clothes and to rest. At the time, maids from the palace used to come here for washing clothes and rest, so the name Bbalae-gol (washing clothes hill) was originated from this. The name is commonly used by everyone.
Gao-ri Gao-ri is located where Wooi Elementary School is currently. In the ancient days, mourning from funerals on the hill has reached the king and caused disturbances, so the king ordered to go (“Ga”) five (“O”) further miles (“Ri”).